AfroerotiK

Erotic provocateur, racially-influenced humanist, relentless champion for the oppressed, and facilitator for social change, Scottie Lowe is the brain child, creative genius and the blood, sweat, and tears behind AfroerotiK. Intended to be part academic, part educational, and part sensual, she, yes SHE gave birth to the website to provide people of African descent a place to escape the narrow-mined, stereotypical, limiting and oft-times degrading beliefs that abound about our sexuality. No, not all Black men are driven by lust by white flesh or to create babies and walk away. No, not all Black women are promiscuous welfare queens. And as hard as it may be to believe, no, not all gay Black men are feminine, down low, or HIV positive. Scottie is putting everything on the table to discuss, debate, and dismantle stereotypes in a healthy exchange of ideas. She hopes to provide a more holistic, informed, and enlightened discussion of Black sexuality and dreams of helping couples be more open, honest, and adventurous in their relationships.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Feeling Particularly Ugly




I’ve been struggling with my image the last couple of days. There seems to be a pattern in my life that the men that I’m most attracted to do not find me physically attractive. In the third grade, it was Kim Williams, who had a huge afro like Foster Slyvers. (Hotline Hotline) He was light skinned and I thought he was the finest thing since Michael Jackson (when he was black with a big assed nose). He liked my best friend Lydia Cherry who was also light skinned. They boy who liked me was Tony Davis. Tony Davis looked like a skeleton with some brown skin he was so skinny. He would write me little love letters, put cut out hearts on them, and glitter. He was crazy about me through high school. Needless to say, I wasn’t really attracted to Tony.

In Junior High, on the first day of school, I saw the boy that would have my heart for six years. Darren Davis. I remember the sensation of seeing him for the very first time to this day. I was walking down the stairs and he was coming up. It was right after homeroom and he turned the corner and bumped into me and my heart skipped a beat. I said right then and there that that was the man that I was going to marry. Within a week, he was going steady (that’s not what we called it, that sounds like something from Happy Days) with my best friend of five years, guess who, Lydia Cherry. They dated for two or three years until which time they broke up and he started dating Jenny Colombo, who was white. They dated for about two years and then he and Lydia finished up high school back together. The entire six years, I was his summer lover. School would let out, he would come over to my house and, eventually when we were about 16, have sex every single day. On the first day of school, he would ignore me like I was a leper for the entire school year, kissing and holding hands with Lydia or Jenny. For six years, the same pattern repeated.

The boys who liked me in high school were the outcasts. There were two brothers, Mark and I forget the other one’s name Clark. They both were into heavy metal and had crusty stuff in their eyes and white gunk in the corners of their mouths and didn’t fit in with the black crowd. One of them asked me to the prom on the day of the prom. Needless to say, I sat home on the night of the prom and watched the Love Boat and Fantasy Island. I did not find either one of them attractive.

In college, I dated the same guy for three and a half years. We were in love but when I met him I was truly not attracted to him. He was attractive but he was white with strawberry blonde hair and he didn’t look anything like Darren Davis who was 6’1” and chocolate. I was so in love with him that I didn’t look at another guy the entire time we were together.

My ex husband looked almost like Darren Davis’ twin. Actually, people used to confuse he and I for twins. He was tall, had a fantastic body, brown, and looked like the boy next door. I was attracted to him the very first second I laid eyes on him. He left me, for surprise, a white woman.

The latter half of my twenties I would go out with men who I didn’t find particularly attractive but I liked something that they had to offer on the inside. I felt I owed it to them to be open and receptive to the person that they were and not the package it came in. I found myself being patronizing because I was really only trying to be a nice person and not aroused on a physical level.

My early thirties . . . enter Emmanuel Bell. I remember the second I laid eyes on him. I remember the feeling of knowing he was standing behind me before he said anything. He took my breath away. Not only was I physically attracted to him, I was intellectually drawn to him. He, however, is only attracted to women with light skin and long hair. Well, that’s not true. They can be Latina or Asian, they don’t have to be light skinned black women. For 7 years, I tried to get him to love me. For 7 years, I tried to get him to see that we were perfect for each other. For 7 years, he fucked me and pursued every other woman who was light skinned and high maintenance. Derrick Scott, not attracted to me. Billy Odum, not attracted to me. I have a string of men that think I’m the best thing since sliced bread and all of whom are beautiful . . . on the inside.

Anyone noticing a pattern? From the time when I was 8 years old till now, the men that I’m attracted to are attracted to light skinned or white women. The men that are attracted to me, I don’t really find physically attractive. I think I’ve done a reasonably good job of dealing with the issues of attracting men to me that make me feel like I have to prove that I’m worthy. That was an issue from my mother that I was trying to resolve. I’m really only attracted to Afrikan centered men now, so the whole issue of white/light beauty isn’t really an issue for me anymore.

That still leaves the issue of the fact that the vast majority of men who are attracted to me, are not men who give me chills shall we say. The men that I meet that I find attractive never seem to show interest in me. The men that would worship the ground I walk on are men I’m not sure I could feel a genuine physical attraction for.

Here’s my concern. If the men that find me attractive are men that I don’t find attractive and the men that I find attractive don’t find me attractive . . . isn’t that really an indication that I’m not as physically attractive as I think I am. Granted, I don’t think I’m a knock out, but I think I’m okay. But if I’m honest with myself, the men who I don’t find attractive must say the same thing about themselves.

Maybe what I see in the mirror is not appealing to the men that I find attractive because my perception is distorted. Maybe I’ll forever chase after men that think I’m ugly because I’m truly not as attractive as I once thought I was. I’m not sure that I ever thought I was attractive but I thought I was at least attractive enough to be appealing to the men that I found attractive. I remember having honest humility in my life and saying, “There’s no way in hell that he would find me attractive, I’m not anywhere close to his level.” It think it’s healthy to have an honest assessment of what you bring to the table.
I have this fear now that I’m about to achieve my goals, now that I’m finally putting to bed some of the demons from my childhood, that I’m going to meet some amazing man who knocks my socks off and he’s going to think I’m ugly. I’ve been staring in the mirror, trying to be honest with myself. What I see looking back at me isn’t very pretty. Maybe I’m seeing myself truly for the very first time in life. Perhaps the men that are most attracted to me are so because I’m resonating on their level and not the level of the men that I’ve been pursuing. Part of me wants to think that really pretty and that the men that I find attractive will find me attractive as well. I’d love to have a man in my life who looks at me and says, “Damn, my baby is so fine.” I know I’m not attractive to quite a few men because I have no hair and long hair is the standard of beauty, even when it’s nappy. I don’t know. Maybe if I hope to find partnership I have to look past the outside and find companionship with someone who isn’t really aesthetically pleasing to me and accept that I’m not aesthetically pleasing to the world.

2 comments:

changeseeker said...

I hesitated to respond to this post for what I expect are obvious reasons. But I just must throw in my two cents about your last paragraph. It's not about beauty, Scottie. It's about socialization. (I'm writing as a sociologist now, okay?) You're attracted to what I call "pretty boys"--and who isn't? They, on the other hand, having often been invited from birth to pander to their own pretty-ness, become at least somewhat shallow on certain levels and then more susceptible to absorbing and internalizing the "party line" ("white is right, if you're black, step back" and so on). Consequently, they opt away from you, not because you're not attractive, but because they're blighted by the internalized oppression of colorism. The African-American guys who find you desirable are, then, guys who for one reason or another (partially because they aren't "pretty" themselves?) have managed to avoid the degree of colorism their "more attractive" brothers display. At least that's my bead on it.

On another note, much closer to home for me, I was told years ago (by a man doing life in prison without parole--who asked me to marry him!) that "ladies love outlaws." The way that has played out in my life is that the ones who flip my switch are invariably the "bad boys." And typically, what some would consider ridiculously young for me. Consequently, as I've aged out of the "market," I can't pull the men that once courted me like fools and I don't find the ordinary, "nice guys" at all interesting on a romantic level. So I've about decided to assume I'll be alone for the rest of my life. Shit. So--for what it's worth--don't think being a woman of color is the only way to fall off the merry-go-round...

Anonymous said...

Hi, sounds like you might be slightly addicted to solitude and those that can insure it. By always loving those that cannot/will not love us we insure we do not have to experience loss because we have already chosen it. Being somewhat of an intellectual "overthinker" myself, I highly recommend you relax a little. I can assure you that you are attractive, obviously creative and complicated and talk a nasty story but I have a feeling you might be a bit dogmatic? You can be right but still be alone. Was just passing by and found your blog. Plus, I love DARK women. Even with short hair :) No reason, just do. And its enough for me. How about you?