AfroerotiK

Erotic provocateur, racially-influenced humanist, relentless champion for the oppressed, and facilitator for social change, Scottie Lowe is the brain child, creative genius and the blood, sweat, and tears behind AfroerotiK. Intended to be part academic, part educational, and part sensual, she, yes SHE gave birth to the website to provide people of African descent a place to escape the narrow-mined, stereotypical, limiting and oft-times degrading beliefs that abound about our sexuality. No, not all Black men are driven by lust by white flesh or to create babies and walk away. No, not all Black women are promiscuous welfare queens. And as hard as it may be to believe, no, not all gay Black men are feminine, down low, or HIV positive. Scottie is putting everything on the table to discuss, debate, and dismantle stereotypes in a healthy exchange of ideas. She hopes to provide a more holistic, informed, and enlightened discussion of Black sexuality and dreams of helping couples be more open, honest, and adventurous in their relationships.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Interracial Relationships and Afrocentric Leadership

I think one of the great failures of African centered thinkers, a group to whom I used to staunchly belong, is the fact that they are tied to the belief that white people are somehow genetically, inherently predisposed to be oppressors. They somehow believe that only Blacks can transcend the fallacy of white supremacy, they falsely believe that whites are incapable of relinquishing their power and privilege. In the history of the world, the fallacy of white supremacy has only existed for the past 2000 or less. The Creator of All, the I Am that I AM, created all human beings as equals. White people, just as African people have the ability to realize the falsehood, lies, and distortions of the past two millennia are nothing more than illusions separating us from the consciousness of love to which we are supposed to vibrate. IF and only if two people can come together, respecting and honoring their differing histories, cultures, norms, perspectives, and share the same goals of eradicating the fallacy of white supremacy, then and only then does color not matter in terms of love. I do NOT believe most African centered scholars who have married white people have done so with partners who have transcended, I do not believe most let go of their mental enslavement that deems white people inherently superior. That doesn’t mean that Black scholars can’t contribute to our revolution. We are ALL, everyone, still enslaved to some degree. Rather than pointing the finger of indignation, we need to embrace that we all still have miles and miles to go before we reach the mountaintop. There are those in the African centered community who will tell me my contributions are invalid because I am open to loving another woman or that I don’t denounce homosexuality. Rather than worry about whom someone loves, we should concern ourselves with our collective scholarship and accomplishment and how we can find commonality to unite in our objectives.

I have had the most exceptional opportunity to meet two white people who are passionate about eradicating the fallacy of white supremacy. I was suspicious; I was filled with hate, rage, and distrust. I learned quickly that my inability to accept them for the true warriors that they are, was my flaw, not theirs. Their motives were pure and they were tackling challenges I never thought white people capable of until I expanded my consciousness and understood a more universal, more enlightened view of the beauty of all of us, not just people of African descent, being created in the image and likeness of The One Most High. Not every white person has attained such enlightenment. In fact, most haven’t even come close. I think we do ourselves a disservice by shutting the door on white people who want to help our cause and encouraging them to pick up armor and fight the valiant fight among their peers. What I don’t think we need to do is pick up their battles. I don’t think we need to help them educate and enlighten their racist peers. I think our energies should be focused on healing our pathologies and ourselves and if they want to help, embrace them, encourage them, invite them to see us in situations where we are behaving in empowered, enlightened ways.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is any extremely interesting topic. Over the past few years, since entering college I have become extremely conscious of the world around me and how my race fits into that equation. I have had conversations with my friends about the non-black men that approach me romantically and how 99.9% of the time I turn them down.

It is not because I believed that interracial relationships were fundamentally or biologically wrong, but because I can't see how this person can ever fully understand me and how much race STILL plays on everyone's psyche. But then this post made me think that I completely ignored the lack of self-knowledge and critical thinking in SOME (especially younger) black men. I automatically assumed that because we were both black he would understand me more than a person of any other race could. But now I realize that a genuine person is a genuine person no matter the color. And that I need to be more discriminatory with all men not just non-black ones.

IDK it kind of seems like you can't win as a black woman. Non-black men may harbor secret stereotypes or superiority complexes and black men may harbor self-hate, lack of self-knowledge, etc. Not to mention my own feelings of inferiority that I sometimes feel, but that battle has been getting less and less strenuous everyday.

I would appreciate any feedback and/or criticism you have to offer.

AfroerotiK said...

Sweetness, if I had a magic wand, I would wave it over you and there would be a pool of emotionally mature, introspective, thoughtful, considerate, loving men of every color for you to choose from. I feel your pain and it is my prayer that younger men are more capable of being supportive, less sexist, more wiling to commit. I do not want you to be 42 and alone like me. I have no answers or solutions. Very, very few white men have done the work on looking at their own lives and privilege in order to be healthy, loving, unbiased partners in interracial relationships. I might suggest that you be secure in who you are, your identity as a woman of color, as a descendant of Africans and your role in the universe as such and draw to you someone who can hold that vision and support you.

Anonymous said...

"So you are what you attract." Sounds like great advice to me. Thanks for your response.

Cynthia said...

I have come to realize that I'm not like most people, my being a black woman is just part of it.

I don't know, I feel so disengaged from men around my age or ones that are even older than me. I just feel disenchanted with black men even though I'm proud to be black and wouldn't change it. (I didn't always used to think like that)

I think I'm looking for acceptance or at least...hey, I don't know what the fuck to say or do and I might not understand but you know...we can talk it out and work through it together. And if I can get that from a man (or woman) of any race, I will surely jump on that because just because we share the same history doesn't mean we see the same story.

I rather be with someone who is willing to work towards something even if they are familiar than stay with someone because we share the same skin and supposedly we have the same values.

Tried that more than once. It didn't work, so now I'm learning to be open.

Loving this blog!

9high said...

I appreciate you expressing the " blessing and burden " of being a conscious African centered person. The sad truth is that the road you are traveling tends to be lonely. Your intellectually prowess and quirkiness makes relationships difficult. I would suggest really seeking fellow travelers and work with them toward mutual goals and wholeness. Skin hunger is so unnecessary.

9high said...

I left out the notion that interracial relationships ( black/white ) are virtually impossible for a sane Afrikan centered person. The history is too much to overcome. I just don't see how that works on any level without seriously compromising your integrity.

9high said...

Interracial relationships are just not for me. The weight of history is just too heavy. Plus I need to be with a Black woman that when she listens to Al Greens " Love and Happiness " she truly understands and hears what I feel.