AfroerotiK

Erotic provocateur, racially-influenced humanist, relentless champion for the oppressed, and facilitator for social change, Scottie Lowe is the brain child, creative genius and the blood, sweat, and tears behind AfroerotiK. Intended to be part academic, part educational, and part sensual, she, yes SHE gave birth to the website to provide people of African descent a place to escape the narrow-mined, stereotypical, limiting and oft-times degrading beliefs that abound about our sexuality. No, not all Black men are driven by lust by white flesh or to create babies and walk away. No, not all Black women are promiscuous welfare queens. And as hard as it may be to believe, no, not all gay Black men are feminine, down low, or HIV positive. Scottie is putting everything on the table to discuss, debate, and dismantle stereotypes in a healthy exchange of ideas. She hopes to provide a more holistic, informed, and enlightened discussion of Black sexuality and dreams of helping couples be more open, honest, and adventurous in their relationships.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Dating with Children

I’m confused about the standards we have set for ourselves these days. It seems to me that people think nothing of the ramifications of the choices that their partners make. People ask me all the time if I would date a man with children. I’m 40, what man my age doesn’t have children? I wouldn't date a man that had five children by four or five different women because that is a HUGE red flag that he is an irresponsible man. If a man had five children by one woman, and they split and he had partial or full custody, I would LOVE to date him. That's a HUGE indication that he is a responsible man. I don't have children so I don't hang out at PTA meetings or playgrounds or ballet classes (if I wouldn't feel like some sort of desperate housewife I would consider checking out some of those places but that seems awfully manipulative) so I don't meet the types of men that are caring fathers.

I meet the men that think that getting their children two weekends a month is babysitting. I met the men that think I'm some sort of trophy because I'm 40 and I don't have any children but they have children they haven't seen in years. I meet the men that think that child support payments are some sort of ransom payment that mothers benefit from for manicures and bon bons. I dream about meeting a single father that is raising his child alone. Instead, I meet married men that have children for whom they have no regard because they are so busy trying to convince me that I don't understand how loveless their marriage has become.

I will NOT date a man that thinks that I’m some sort of extra value prize because I don’t have any children. That sort of man is the worse sort of partner possible. I feel for the woman that has children and is looking for a man. I hear the disparaging comments that men make about women with children when they are trying to impress me. They tell me how they lead women with children on to get the panties and walk away before they get too close (sign of emotional immaturity). They tell me of the impossible standards that they put on women with children, making them and their children jump through hoops to adhere to some sort of antebellum standard of behavior where children are seen and not heard and a good backslap was supposedly good for a child. No matter how well behaved the child is, if the mother isn't raising her child like a concentration camp prisoner, they get deemed an unfit mother and therefore disposable. The fear of responsibility, of being an adult, prevents men from forming relationships with women with children. Because men can make babies and walk away without so much as losing a night’s sleep, the scales will always tip in their favor when it comes to degrading women with children. My prayers are with you ladies that you find a suitable mate. And if you meet a man and you want to know his true feelings about how he feels about dating a woman with children, ask one of his ex’s that don’t have children, she’ll tell you the truth.

No comments: